SWIMSAFER STAGE 1
Introduction to Water Skills
The objective is develop confidence and independence in the water, learn general and deep-end water safety. Techniques taught include the forward and backward movement, safe entry and exit and personal water safety.
Entries & Exits
1. Slide-in entry.
2. Exit using ladder and from pool edge.
Sculling & Body Orientation
- Front float (mushroom or jellyfish), 5 sec, recover to standing position.
- Back float, 5 sec, recover to a standing position.
1. Submerge in waist deep (student’s) water, open eyes and blow bubbles.
Movement / Swimming / Strokes
- Movement on front 10m. (alternating arms & legs and/or simultaneous arms and legs)
- Movement on back 5m. (alternating arms & legs and/or simultaneous arms and legs)
Survival & Activity Skills
- Signal distress.
- Grasp a flotation aid and float for 10 sec.
- Move to the pool’s edge (with the float).
- Exit safely from water .
Dressed in swimwear, shorts and t-shirt demonstrate:
- Correctly fit a PFD, jump into the water, float for 30 seconds and then climb out of deep water.
- Principles of Personal Safety and Survival.
- Environmental Awareness.
- Health Awareness.
- Emergency Situations and Survival Techniques.