Introduction to Water Skills
SwimSafer Stage 1
The objective is develop confidence and independence in the water, learn general and deep-end water safety. Techniques taught include the forward and backward movement, safe entry and exit and personal water safety.
Entries & Exits
- Enter the water safely and confidently with slide-In entry and exit using ladder and from pool edge.
Sculling & Body Orientation
- Recover from a face down float or glide to a standing position
- Recover from a back float or back glide to a standing position
- Introduction to Flotation Survival Technique
- Submerge in waist depth water, open eyes and blow bubbles.
- Forward movement 10m
- Introduction to Backward movement 5m
Survival & Activity skills
- Support body in an upright position and signal distress.
- Grasp a flotation aid thrown for support.
- Be pulled to safety.
- Wearing clothing, correctly fit a PFD, jump into the water, float for 30 seconds and then climb out of deep water.
- Rules of behaviour in, on or near the water.
- Water safety knowledge at a swimming pool.