Personal & Stroke Development Skills
SwimSafer Stage 3
Principles of personal survival as well as basic rescue skills are taught. Skills include sculling, underwater skills and the use of personal flotation device. Goal is to achieve 50m of continuous swimming.
Entries & Exits
- Perform a stride/straddle entry.
Sculling & Body Orientation
- Demonstrate sculling in a horizontal position for 10 seconds with arms only.
- Demonstrate the ability to change direction on command.
- Demonstrate reverse action.
- In chest deep water swim through hoops on pool bottom 2 metres apart.
- Swim 50m
- Swim continuously
- 25m using either Breaststroke or Front-Crawl
- 25m using either Backstroke or Survival Backstroke
Survival & Activity skills
- Dressed in swimwear, shorts and t-shirt swim 25m.
- Demonstrate ability to correctly fit a PFD in the water.
- Throw a flotation aid to a partner at 3m distance and instruct to kick to the edge.
- Perform a reach rescue using a rigid aid and pull a partner to safety.
- Principles of personal survival