Advance Personal Survival & Swimming Skill Proficiency
Children will be required to perform strokes with greater ease, efficiency, power and smoothness over 400 metres. Rescue skills and water safety knowledge will focus on lifesaving readiness. Standing dive and personal safety skills will continue to be taught.
Entries & Exits
- Demonstrate a standing dive
Sculling & Body Orientation
- Keep face above the water surface for 60 seconds using legs only
- Search for and recover an object in 1.8 m of water depth.
- Demonstrate equalising of ear/nose.
- Swim 400m continuously
- 100m Breaststroke
- 100m Front Crawl
- 100m Backstroke
- 100m Survival Backstroke or Sidestroke
- Efficient stroke techniques must be used
Survival & Activity skills
- Dressed in swimwear, long pants, long-sleeved shirt , perform the following sequence (no pyjamas);
- Enter deep water using an appropriate entry method swim 5 metres underwater to simulate an escape form a sinking boat surrounded by oil.
- Swim a further 45 metres as if escaping from a dangerous situation.
- Remove shoes and then swim slowly for further 50 metres using any preferred swim stroke occasionally signalling for help.
- Remove clothing in deep water. Fit PFD correctly while treading water, swim 100 metres using appropriate strokes.
- Demonstrate HELP technique and climb out of the water whilst wearing the PFD
- Using a suitable buoyant aid, tow (non-contact) rescue of a person 10m from safety.
- Principles when performing a rescue