Intermediate Personal Survival & Stroke Refinement Skills
Fundamentals of diving will be introduced. Development of rescue skills and personal survival knowledge will also continue at more advanced levels. Children will be required to demonstrate efficient stroke techniques to complete stage 5.
Entries & Exits
1. Dive entry (crouching).
Sculling & Body Orientation
1. Backward somersault in the water.
2. Scull, float or tread whilst putting on a PFD in water (incorporated in Survival & Activity Skills).
1. In at least 1.4m deep water, perform feet-first surface dive, swim through hoops on pool bottom for 3m.
Movement / Swimming / Strokes
- 50m Front Crawl (within 1:30 min).
- 50m Breaststroke(within 1:50 min).
- 50m Backstroke (within 1:40 min).
- 25m Survival Backstroke.
- 25m Sidestroke.
- Dolphin kick 10m on front.
Survival & Activity Skills
Dressed in swimwear, shorts and t-shirt demonstrate:
- Enter deep water using a straddle jump.
- Perform a backward somersault.
- Submerge using feet first surface dive.
- Swim through hoops on pool bottom for 3m and resurface.
- Swim 45m quickly using front crawl.
- Wave and call for help (rescuer to throw PFD).
- Retrieve a PFD in water and fit it while treading water.
- Demonstrate Heat Escape Lessening Posture (H.E.L.P.) technique for 30 sec.
- Then swim 25m with PFD and climb out of the water.
1. Throw a PFD to a partner 3m away and instruct the partner to kick to the edge.
- Principles of Personal Safety and Survival.
- Environmental Awareness.
- Health Awareness.
- Emergency Situations and Survival Techniques.